Registration for Summer 2024 starts on February 15th! Places are limited. First come, first served!

Our
History

How and when did we start?

The plot of land on which Camp Massawippi is now located, was purchased on March 17, 1951, from Miss Mary Helen Norton who had acquired the property from her late brother, Henry Arunah Norton for the token price of one dollar.

The original 15.1-acre estate had many buildings, including a summerhouse known as “the house that Jack built”, the Baldwin red cottage known as “the Log Cabin” and a boat-house on the lake. By acquiring adjacent properties, Camp Massawippi was able to grow to occupy its present 19-acre site.

During our first summer season we welcomed over 60 campers for 5 weeks, with 42 staff members (including families) in attendance. There was a “tuck shop” where campers could buy many necessities from chocolate bars to shoelaces to toothbrushes. Every Wednesday campers were required to write letters to their families, and every Sunday evening there was a vesper service on the campsite. A hairdresser would come twice during the summer and cut hair for $0.25/head, and every Thursday was picnic day. Activities included, among others, fishing, swimming and arts and crafts. That first season in 1951 was a resounding success, and Camp Massawippi has been thriving ever since.

Camp Massawippi, formerly known as the “School for Crippled Children Camp” because of its affiliation with the Montreal school, opened its doors for the first time on June 14, 1951. It wasn’t until 1952 that it held its official opening ceremony. Sixty years and several partnerships later, the school evolved to become the MAB-Mackay Rehabilitation Centre, and the camp acquired the name of Camp Massawippi.

 

Fun Moments in Our History

1951

Original plot of land donated for $1 & Camp's first summer season

1960

Camper David Heslam caught a record-breaking 5.5lb trout

1968

A program with multiple levels of activities is launched

1979

Electric wheelchairs at camp for the first time

1986

Age limit rose to 21

1992

Recorded as the coldest summer since 1871

1993

Age limit rose to 30 years

1999

Construction of the Conrad H. Harrington Building or "main office"

2001

Launch of the 10-day season

2011

60th Anniversary, new logo! The Grace Helen MacFarlane Swan Health Hut

Latest: Dining Hall Refresh

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.